Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chas Grad Chas Grad is offline

Default Can't get array formula to work in MATCH function

THANKS!
It works. I'll need to spend some time with it to figure out why, but I
really appreciate geting an answer that does the job - especially so quickly.
Thanks again.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this array formula** :

=MATCH(D2,SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(A1:A10,,,ROW(A1:A10)-MIN(ROW(A1:A10)))))-(SUM(A1:A10)D2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Chas Grad" wrote in message
I want to find the last location in a series of numbers where the
cumulative
sum of the numbers does not exceed a target value.
This is easy to do using the MATCH function and a second list that
contains
the cumulative sum of the values in the first list.
In the example below, A1:A1 contains the list of interest and B1:B10
contains the cumulative sums.
The formula MATCH(D2,B1:B101) in D3 finds the location of the first value
in
B1:B10 that is less than or equal to the target.
I want to achieve that result without using the second list containg the
cumulative sums.
I created an array formula to yield the results of col B for the MATCH
function to work on, but the result is #NA
The formula I used was {MATCH( D2, SUM(OFFSET(A1,0,0,A1:A10,1), 1)}
When I just put the offset formula in a cell and hit F9 I see this result:
{1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1}
Any suggestions on how I can accomplish my goal of not having to have the
formulas in col B?
I was unsuccessful at pasting a picture here. Here's a crude reproduction
of what the sample sheet looked like:
A B C D
1 1 1 Target 35
2 2 3 Location 7 ( =MATCH(D2, B1:B10,1) )
3 3 6
4 4 10
5 5 15
6 6 21