Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_438_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_438_] is offline

Default Formula only works on some computers

Actually, we do not appear to have oooo for month, at least I couldn't get
it to work. Hmm, but if we did, not having one for year didn't occur to me.
Maybe Microsoft started to try providing an method for internationalizing,
started with aaaa and then gave up when they realized they had forgotten
about French Excel's use of 'a' for year (and then simply forgot to clean up
the help files).<g

Rick

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Even if it does work in French, it is not a panacea as although we have
aaa for day and oooo for month, we don't seem to have anything for year.
Why not, no idea, but that is MS for you.

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Try this variation on my formula and see if it works (I **think** the
"aaaa"
returns the day name with the localized spelling for the computer it is
being run on)...

=IF(DATE($B$5,$B$4,$B9)<=DATE($B$5,$B$4+1,0),T EXT(WEEKDAY(DATE($B$5,$B$4,$B9)),"aaaa"),"n/a")

May work for English and German (and other) regional settings, but I
wonder whether it'd fail for French and presumably other romance
language regional setting where 'a' stands for year.

Internationalization is a PITA.

That is why I'm glad that in my entire programming career, I have never
had to deal with Internalization issues... I have seen some posting
regarding various treatments required to account for it in compiled VB
and it looked like a horrible thing to have to try and deal with
properly. As for the 'a' for year issue, I guess we'll have to wait for
someone with French Excel to try it out.

By the way, for those still reading this thread... the "aaa" and "aaaa"
also works in the formatting patterns for Custom Formatting cells (with
the question about French Excel still pending).

Rick