CLR

Conditional formatting on your ID column.......

Condition 1, Formula is: =--MID($A1,8,1)<5, format cell background as pink
Condition 2, Formula is: =--MID($A1,8,1)=5, format cell background as blue

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Catherine" wrote:

An SA identity number has 13 digits, the 1st 6 digits are your birthday, the
next 4 digits indicate male or female, I don't know what the last three
indicate. Anyway I wan't to write a formula that will tell me if employees
are male or female based on their ID number. e.g. ID 730825 0137 088 is a
female because the middle four digits are below 5000, ID 730825 5432 087 is a
male because the middle four digits are above 5000. I do realize that "text
to columns" and a simple if function would suffice, but it is important that
the ID number remains in one column. Please help, it would be much
appreciated!
Catherine