Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default formatting in different countries

Libby,

The way I do it is as follows:

- first, create a cell with my preferred date format, let's say Z1 on sheet
Control (it can be a hidden sheet)
- add a defined name (InsertNameDefine...) of say myDateFormat, and a
RefersTo value of =GET.CELL(7,Control!$Z$1)

and then in your spreadsheet use =TEXT(NOW(),myDateFormat)

To be really flexible, you could create a number of cells with different
formats, all with different defined names, and use appropriately.

--
HTH

Bob

"Libby" wrote in message
You'd have thought so, but apparently not. A spreadsheet with a date
formatted with a formula as text to "dddd" displays "dddd" in Germany
unless
the dddd in the formula is changed to tttt.

"JP" wrote:

I might be mistaken, but wouldn't the regional settings translate that
appropriately?

Does this help?
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/ExcelProgRef/Ch22/

--JP

On May 10, 4:01 am, Libby wrote:
I've recently created a spreadsheet which contains a date formatted to
show
as the day of the week by means of "dddd".
However this spreadsheet is to be used in Germany and France and I've
discovered that in order for the formatting to work, "dddd" has to be
replaced with "tttt" in Germany (for Tag) and "jjjj" in France (jour).

I'm quite surprised by this as I though that the formatting would have
been
taken care of in Excel regardless of the country it was being opened.

Is this a problem anyone else has encountered and how did you get
around it?

Libby