Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Libby Libby is offline

Default Formula only works on some computers

Many thanks.
These both work, although the formatting is still and issue as the dddd has
to be tttt in Germany. I've used Rick's as my validation data isn't contained
in a range.

"Libby" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have a spreadsheet with B9:B39 containing the numbers 1 to 31, B4 = a
month and B5 = a Year.
The month and year cells are validated so the user chooses "April" etc from
a drop down list and likewise "2008" from a dropdown list in the year cell.

In a column to the left of the numbers, Ive put this formula which displays
the day of the week for the number for the selected month/year.
=IF(ISERROR(DATEVALUE(B9&"/"&$B$4&"/"&$B$5)),"n/a",TEXT(B9&"/"&$B$4&"/"&$B$5,"dddd"))
If there is no day for that year e.g. 31st Feb, then n/a is displayed.

The same formula without the error trapping is this.
=TEXT(B9&"/"&$B$4&"/"&$B$5,"dddd")

This works fine for me and for everyone in the UK. However, people in
Germany have been experiencing one of two problems.
To see the errors I sent them a version without the error trapping.

1) Instead of displaying the day of the week, €śdddd€ť is displayed.
2) #value! is displayed

When they send these spreadsheets back to me I can see these errors, but as
soon as I change the month, order is restored.

Does anyone know why this is happening (in Germany) and how to rectify it?
Ive confirmed that were all using Excel 2003.

Many thanks in advance.

Libby x