Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jshehan jshehan is offline

Default Formating 24hr Clock, but not as time!!

sorry about the double posting...I am a little bit of a beginner on these
codes, still trying to figure out your web page. Will your codes
automatically insert colons when only typing in whole numbers like 2300 to
be displayed like 23:00

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Using VBA

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Peo Sjoblom

"jshehan" wrote in message
I am having some what the same problems, however I am wanting the cell to
display 24hr time as ie...13:30 with the colons, and without actually
keying
in the colon when entering in the numbers as 1330. Is there any way that
it
will automatically insert the colons without keying them in????
"SpencerMC" wrote:

I have a column in my worksheet that users enter their start time in 24hr
clock (military time) e.g. 1830 or 0700

If I format the column using any of the time formats, I get various
results
since Excel treats the entry as a value and converts this into a time
(never
really understood this).

However, I don't need to do any calucalution with these times; it's
effectively just there as text. So when users enter 1830 it stays as
1830. So
far so good. However if they enter something with a preceeding 0, such as
0630, Excel removes the first zero and it becomes 630. In a list of 24hr
times this looks odd and will confuse people.

So any suggestions? I just want users to enter 24hr times and for them to
be
formated as such (as text or otherwise!) Cheers.