Trevor Shuttleworth

Johnny

look at Conditional Formatting.

Assuming the cells you want to check are in row 1 and the cells you want to
check them against are in rows 2 to 22 below, first select cells A1 to G1,
that is, all 7 cells.

Then, from the menu, select Format | Conditional Formatting...

Set the Condition to Formula is: =COUNTIF(A$2:A$22,A$1) and choose
some appropriate formatting, for example, yellow background (patterns |
colour = yellow)

If it is the same column of numbers for all the cells, then change A$2:A$22
to $A$2:$A$22 ... adjust the column and rows to meet your needs.

Regards

Trevor

"johnny" wrote in message
Using Excell 2003.
I have 7 cells in a row each with a different number in each cell.
Selecting the first cell I wish to compare the number against a column
consisting of 21 numbers.
If the number in the selected cell is the same as a number in the column I
want to select that cell background colour yellow.
If the number in the selected cell does not correspond with a number in
the
column then move to the next cell on the row and repeat until all 7 cells
on
the row have been checked.
Have tried various ways but am stuck.
Can anyone help?