JulieD

Hi

do you mean that because row 4 had a 5 in column B and in column A there was
an "x" then all other instances of "x" have to have an * too in column C.

if so, then the only way i can think to do this is by using code ... e.g.
---
Sub star()
For Each c In Range("B1:B8")
If c.Value = 5 Then
For Each cl In Range("A1:A8")
If cl.Value = c.Offset(0, -1).Value Then
cl.Offset(0, 2).Value = "*"
End If
Next
End If
Next
End Sub
---
to use this code, right mouse click on the sheet tab and choose view code to
display the vbe window, choose insert / module from the menu and copy &
paste this code in there
then switch back to your workbook using alt & f11
choose tools / macro / macros
find star
and press RUN

NOTE: this code will also put the original * against the 5s for you too.

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Flip" <FlipatKonitechPuntnl wrote in message
Hi NG,
Here is a small example of a problem I cannot solve:
3 columns
a b c
x 2
y 1
z 4
x 5 *
p 1
q 6
p 5 *
r 2
I let Excel put a * in column c if a value in column b equals 5 so this
happens in c4 and c8

Now I want Excel to also put a * in c1 and c5 this is because I need all
occurences of once they are marked (even only once).
What should I do?
Flip