Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default VLOOKUP returning a #VALUE! error and I've not idea why! HELP!

Format does not matter, I can type a word in Excel, format it as a number
and it still would be text.
If you have a table that's for instance imported from Access the numbers
very often are text, or if you use numbers from internet and have a trailing
invisible character the number would still be text regardless if you format
it as number.

Do this, find the number from VLOOKUP that returns the error, select that
particular cell in the lookup table,
press F2, make sure there is no trailing or leading space and press enter

Peo Sjoblom

"forevertrying" wrote in message
All cells are formatted as numbers and its still showing #N/A

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

The reason you get a value error is either that VLOOKUP returns a text
value
that you multiply with the content
in F22 or that the content in F22 is text (could be trailing spaces etc)

Peo Sjoblom

"forevertrying" wrote in
message
Tried that one, but then it just brings up #NAME?

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Omit the quotes around Reg

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"forevertrying" wrote in
message
| The formula is:
|
| =F22*VLOOKUP("Reg",$B$1:$D$16,3,FALSE)
|
| F22 is the total hours (result of a sum totalling all hours in the
row)
| The table it is looking the information up from is
| Column 1 = Reg
| Column 2 = Hourly Cost
|
| There are 16 Reg Numbers and therefore 16 hourly costs. The Hourly
Costs are
| formatted as currency.
|

| "Dave" wrote:
|
| Hi,
| You probably don't need to email your sheet.
| Just show us a copy of the formula you're using, and some details
of
the
| data table you're trying to look up.
| Regards - Dave.
|
| "forevertrying" wrote:
|
| Hi there,
|
| I am using VLOOKUP to calculate vehicle usage hours... or should
say, I am
| TRYING to use.
|
| It keeps sending back a #VALUE! error and I have absolutely no
idea
why. I
| have used all the help I can possible find, and I can't see
where
its going
| wrong.
|
| I can e-mail my worksheet for someone to have a look at. I'm
fairly
sure its