Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken McLennan Ken McLennan is offline

Default Trig Function seems odd.

G'day there David,

=1/TAN(5/25) doesn't give an angle, but =ATAN(5/25) does

And having calculated the angle that way (already in radians), you don't
need the RADIANS function before using that in the TAN function.

AHA!!!! It's so much easier when you know what you're doing!

Thanks very much for that. I thought that ATAN was an Arctangent
and had some other relationship to the angle and that I needed the
inverse of the tangent. Oh well. Maybe I should have tried to remember
my school stuff. Or learned it to begin with :)

I've changed the formulae and all is now well with the world.
However I think it would be much better if Microsoft built a spreadsheet
program that just knew what I wanted and gave me the answers without me
having to accurately formulate the questions :)

Thanks once again for your help.
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia.