bpeltzer

Make your 'table-array' references absolute. Instead of
=VLOOKUP(D8,I9:J13,2), use =VLOOKUP(D8,$I$9:$J$13,2). Then when you drag the
formula, you'll still be reference the proper lookup table.

"Neoseraph" wrote:

Hmmm, yeah, now that gave me "A" for grades that are higher then 0.85 but
then when I try to drag the formula down into the other cells, they all gave
me "A" too even when the grade is 5% (which is suppose to be "F"), so what's
wrong?

"Fred Smith" wrote:

VLOOKUP assumes your table is in ascending order, not descending. Change
your table to:

0.00 F
0.50 D
0.65 C
0.70 B
0.85 A

And it should work.

Fred
Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

"Neoseraph" wrote in message
Hi, I need help to setup the VLOOKUP function for an assignment. Everytime
try to do it, it says, #NA.

I need to use VLOOKUP to put in the letter grade for a list of students's
grades in % on their midterms.

The average % is in cells D8:D18.

The lookup table I made (in cells I9:J13) is as followed:

85% and above A
70% and above B
65% and above C
50% and above D
Below 50% F

This is what I tried for VLOOKUP but got #N/A:

lookup value: D8
table array: I9;J13
col_index_num: 2

so the final formula looks like this: =VLOOKUP(D8,I9:J13,2)
and that gave me #N/A.

Can anybody help please???