Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Daniel Cheng Daniel Cheng is offline

Default Excel file too big even when I delete all cells

All mentioned methods did not work!!

I tried the following tests and appended my finding:

Test #1
Action Result
Remark
1. Copy "Problem" Excel File to dummy OK
Data + Chart
2. Open dummy Excel File OK
3. Delete "Slow-motion" Worksheet File Size drop dramatically
4. Copy & Paste data from "Problem" file File size increase litte bit

Test #2
Action Result
Remark
1. Open "Problem" Excel File OK
Data + Chart
3. Delete "Slow-motion" Worksheets' charts File Size drop very little bit
4. CLEAR ALL"Slow-motion" worksheet' data
5. Save & re-open Excel File File size still same

Any suggestion to fix my problem on using Excel 2003.

Daniel Cheng

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

After deleting the unused rows and columns did you SAVE the workbook.

Some versions require a sav/close and reopen before changes take effect.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:35:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

My file size is 700 KB for a spreadsheet with little text and few
formulas with links but no macros. I deleted the cells to the right
and bottom of the cells being used and the size stays the same; even
deleting all of the cells in the workbook does not change the size. I
cut the spreadsheet and pasted into a new file and the new file has
the same size as the original. Any ideas? Thanks!