Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
wilchong via OfficeKB.com wilchong via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Excel Function for select data which NOT exist from the list

Dear Biff,
Many thank for your explanation. Actually, another point of the Excel
function is that why you put "--" before (COUNTIF(B$3:B$13,A$3:A$14)=0)),

What is the purpose of "--" if mix with Excel function!

Thank for your time and effort again!
Wilchong

T. Valko wrote:
Actually, may I ask you one question, what is the logic in your function
which can list the missing data from second set of data? I saw you have
put --
infront of COUNTIF function, what is that mean?

We use COUNTIF to identify which items are missing from column B.

INDEX(A$3:A$14,SMALL(IF(COUNTIF(B$3:B$13,A$3:A$14 )=0,ROW(A$3:A$14)-MIN(ROW(A$3:A$14))+1),ROWS(C$3:C3)))

The COUNTIF function returns an array of counts like this:

COUNTIF(B$3:B$13,A3) = 1
COUNTIF(B$3:B$13,A4) = 1
COUNTIF(B$3:B$13,A5) = 2
COUNTIF(B$3:B$13,A6) = 0
COUNTIF(B$3:B$13,A7) = 0
etc
etc

Where the result of that count is 0 we use this expression to calculate what
row the corresponding value is located on.

ROW(A$3:A$14)-MIN(ROW(A$3:A$14))+1

That number is then passed to the INDEX function to produce the desired
result.

Dear Biff,
Thank you so much for your Excel demo file. I finally found out what

[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]
Many thanks,
Wilchong