Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default how to I remove these odd squares from spreadsheet?

the character will display differently in Notepad than they do in Excel.
what you want to do is remove these characters. I don't think it is
important to find out what the characters are unless this problem occurs
often and it becomes difficult to remove.

I still think it will be easier to remove in Notepad. Simply hightlight the
one character in Notepad and copy. Then open the replace box and paste the
character in the from box.. Click on th to box and then press replace all.
Save the file when you are done.

"Joe" wrote:

On May 4, 2:57 am, Joel wrote:
OPen the CSV file in Notepad. Use the replace. Copy one of the squares and
paste it into the from box in the replace window. Leave the two box blnak.
Save the file.

"Joe" wrote:
I created a .csv file from an old Palm Desktop application and ended
up with a bunch of these odd squares in many of the cells. I tried to
cut one and paste it into 'find/replace' but it doesn't show up. Aside
from deleting every one of them manually is there a way I can get rid
of them automatically?

Here's a link to a screenshot I took of a couple of cells

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?i...squareseu6.jpg

The boxes don't show up in notepad, nor do they show up in Word. They
come up as paragraph marks. This is basically coming from the notes
section of my Palm Desktop program. I assume Excel can't recognize
them as carriage returns so they show up as squares.