Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default autosum refusal to sum highlighted range

Please note D6 contains the negative reference = -B6 (not -B20 as stated below)
Sorry.
Lawrence

"lawrence" wrote:

I apologize if this has been discussed and solved previously, but a quick
search didn't provide any answers. The following applies to 2003, 2000, and
2007.

Autosum fails to insert the correct cell range into the formula when a cell
in the highlighted range contains another sum() function and another cell in
the range contains a negative reference, i.e. = -D5.

For example:

D3 contains the formula sum(B3:C3)
D6 contains the negative reference = -B20

When cells D3 to D8 are highlighted and the autosum button is pressed, the
forumula in D8 is sum(D6:D7) when it should be sum(D3:D7). (Cells D4 and D5
are empty. The range D3:D8 is formated to number).

If the negative cell reference is changed to *-1, autosum works correctly.
Also, if D3 does not contain a sum() formula, autosum works correctly.

(Note: Cell B3 contains sum(A2.A3) and Cell B6 contains sum(A5.A6) )

I believe this is serious issue as a user doesn't normally double check the
resulting formula from an autosum on a highlighted, simple one column range.

Comments?

Lawrence