Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Hutchins Tom Hutchins is offline

Default How do I lock a drop down cell so only drop down entries can b

In the Data Validation dialog for that cell, go to the Error Alert tab. Make
sure there is a check by "Show error alert after invalid data is entered".
Click OK to close the dialog.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"OrlaLynch" wrote:

I do have my Data Validation set up in this way. However the cell still
allows me to type in data as well as choose from the list. I want it so only
the list can be selected.

I hope I am explaining this ok,
Thank you for your reply,
Orla

"jlclyde" wrote:

On Apr 29, 10:07 am, OrlaLynch
wrote:
I am trying to protect my sheet and control what users can enter. I have many
cells with drop down entries but I do not want them to be able to enter
anything else into the cell. Is this possible?

Try Data validation and list instead of what you are doing. Somewhere
on the sheet type your list of things that you do want added then
select them as the list under data validation. If the list is going
to be on a different sheet then the drop down, you will have to have a
named range. Then make your data validation list source as =Name of
your range. To create a named range you need to go to insert/ Name
Define.

Jay