Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smw2340 smw2340 is offline

Default calculating variances in pivot tables

Thanks for the suggestion Charles. However, i get an error saying i've used
the same field more than once. in my data table that the pivot is pulling
from i have the following columns: Account, Year, Hours. When i create the
pivot the years are in the columns, account in the rows and the hours is the
data item.

"Charles Williams" wrote:

How about adding a pivot table calculated field called Variance with a
formula something like:
='2008 Hours' - '2007 Hours'

regards
Charles
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"smw2340" wrote in message
i am trying to turn the grand total column into a variance column. I do
not
want to sum the hours in my data set i want to show the difference between
the hours from one year to the next. the data in my pivot table looks
like
this:

Col A: Col B: Col C: Col D:
Account # 2007 Hours 2008 Hours Grand Total

Any suggestions?

Thanks!