Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default COUNTIF(RANGE,"?") and search for contains

One way:

To count single question marks

=COUNTIF(A:A,"~?")

To count the number of cells in a range that contain a question mark
anywhere within their content:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"*~?*")

Similarly,

=COUNTIF(A1,"*Mexico*")

In article ,
BlueWolverine wrote:

How do I perform a countif with the criteria being I want to count the number
of question marks?

Also, can I do countifs in a if it contains something versus equals something?

Say a cell contains "Guadalajara, Mexico"

can I get somrhting like =countif(cell,contains"Mexico") to return a 1?

Thank you!

(Excel 2003 on XP Pro. Also curious how to do it in Excel 2007 on XP Pro)

Thanks