Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

Default Changes not saved

Yvette,

I can't be certain from your description, because it doesn't seem to fit exactly, but one
possibility is that you attached a saved workbook, worked on the workbook some more, saved
it again, and attached it again to the same email. In that case, if you're using Outlook
Express, you'd get the first save, not the second, in your attachment. You wouldn't think,
but that's the way OE works. OE caches attachments, and attaching an updated file doesn't
result in getting the latest file. Could that be what's happening?
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Yvette" wrote in message
I am by no means an Excel expert, however, I am very comfortable with all the
basic functions of Excel. From time to time, I've noticed that after opening
an Excel file, working in it, saving, closing, opening it, performing a Save
As, etc. that there are times it does not save all the work. I habitually use
CTRL+S to save while I work and when I close the spreadsheet window, don't
get a Save prompt, so I am extremely confident I'm saving my work just fine.
For example, I worked on and off in a spreadsheet last week, attached it to
an email, but when I opened the file on my PC the next day, some of the
changes were not there. I then went to my Sent folder, found the email,
opened the spreadsheet I had attached and the files were different (correct
in the attachment, but not on the file on my PC).

Any ideas as to why this would happen? I am absolutely certain it is the
same file, so that's not the explanation. Let's assume I had attached the
file when it was open on my desktop, then sent the email with the file
attached, would that account for it? I would think that when I later closed
the file, if there were unsaved changes, it would prompt me to save them,
right?