Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mary C[_3_] Mary C[_3_] is offline

Default Excel 2007 workbook problem

Thanks for the help! Its appreciated.
--
Mary C

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

First, I don't like using multiple sessions of excel. I'll just open more
workbooks in the same session.

But you do have a couple of choices.

For instance, instead of using a personal.xls, I use an addin (personal.xla). I
don't get prompted when I open (ok, sometimes I do use multiple sessions) the
second session of excel.

You could also use windows explorer to mark your macro workbook (*.xls) as
readonly. Excel will respect this windows setting and know that you don't want
to make changes to it.

This last option makes it a little more difficult to modify/create macros in
that same workbook. You'll have to change that readonly flag on the macro
workbook before you open excel to edit the code.

===
Just my way of working...

When I want a new macro, I'll develop it in a test workbook. When it's perfect
(ahem), I'll copy it into my personal.xla addin.

So marking the file as readonly isn't really a hardship for me.

Mary C wrote:

I usually work in a couple of workbooks and have recently written a macro but
now when I open a second session of Excel I get a File in Use message-read
only. I know there has to be a way to get rid of that so I can open the 2
sessions successfully. Please help/

Thanks,
--
Mary C