Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Excel 2007 - Why is Cell Merging Disabled?

Like Dave, I have no guesses but IMO, consider yourself fortunate that you are
unable to use the "merge cells" feature.

Save yourself a lot of grief down the road.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:25:00 -0700, Michael
wrote:

Good thought - but alas it is not.

We have also noticed that depending on who opens the workbook, the merge
cell function may be completely disabled for all worksheets (even newly
created), or only disabled for some cells and some worksheets.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Another thing to check...

Is the workbook shared?

Michael wrote:

I received a workbook where the cell merge functions are disabled. This was
not done on purpose and the worksheet/workbook is NOT protected in any shape
or form. Orginally when the workbook was created it did allow merging.

All we know is the workbook was created in Office 2007 - down convertd to
Office 2003 and then opened in Office 2007. We do not believe this has
anything to do with the issue.

Does anybody know what causes the merge function (outside of protection) to
disable in 2007?

--

Dave Peterson