Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mark Ivey[_2_] Mark Ivey[_2_] is offline

Default Excel 2003: Copy rows from one workbook into another without losing interleaved data

I think the VLOOKUP FUNCTION should work for what you are wanting to do...

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/vlookup.php

Mark Ivey

"Steve Bentley" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have workbook#1 which contains rows of information which I need to copy
into workbook#2. This is simple the 1st time but the data in workbook#1
does change and therefore periodically I need to update workbook#2 with
the new data.

The problem is that in workbook#2 in between the rows new rows shall be
inserted containing other information. When I update #1=#2 I do not want
to lose the new rows.

So:

WB#1 WB#2 Needed Outcome

1 AAAA AAAA 1 to 1
2 BBBB 1111 3 CCCC BBBB 2 to 3
5 CCCC 3 to 5
6 3333
7 DDDD 4 to 7

I hope I have explained this clearly enough.

I have tried to set a filter in WB#2 so that only the ABCD rows are shown
and then manually copied across however excel is too clever and instead
copies the data over the 1234 rows.

If someone can help then it is appreciated.

Thanks
Steve