Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B Kevin B is offline

Default Sum Individual Account Balances

As a side comment to Jim Thomlinson's sub-total suggestion, if that's the
route you choose just make sure that the data has been sorted by account
number before creating the sub-totals.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

A couple of possible ways to go about this. As formulas it is a bit of an
uphill battle. My recommended solution would be either a pivot table or
inserting subtotals.

Data - Subtotal (fairly self explanatory)
Data - Pivot Table or Pivot Chart (Follow the wizard)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Brendan Hanrahan" wrote:

I have been working on this all morning and I can't seem to get it...
I want to get a single total for each account number when my data has
a random distribution of accounts

for example:

Account Balance Total Owed (what I want/can't figure out)
A100 1 1
A101 2
A101 1 3
A102 3 3
A103 2 2
A104 2 2
A105 3
A105 3
A105 4 10

I haven't been able to combine a logic function with a nested sum to
make this happen, Any ideas?

Brendan