Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jlclyde jlclyde is offline

Default Multiple headings for indexing

On Apr 22, 10:17*am, "Otto Moehrbach"
wrote:
Jay
* * I understand your layout now. *You explained that well. *But I still
don't understand what you are doing. *You say "So I am trying to index if it
is company 1 and program 3 and quantity of 20 and item number 3. *I want it
to be able
to return G6." *I see how this gets you to G6 but I don't see what you do or
how you do it. What do you physically do to select the company, the program,
the quantity, the item number? *Do you click on some cells in some lists?
Do you have a series of Data Validation cells with these lists? *Do you want
to enter these things into some cells. *What do you do?
You say you want it to "return G6". *What do you mean by that? *Exactly what
do you want to see on the screen? *Do you want to see the value of G6 in
some cell? *Do you want to see the text "G6" in some cell?
Remember that no one in these newsgroups has any idea or knowledge about
your business. *HTH *Otto"jlclyde" wrote in message

On Apr 22, 8:39 am, "Otto Moehrbach"
wrote:

What do you mean by "index cell G6"? What do want to do? HTH Otto"jlclyde"
wrote in message

Is there a way to do indexing but with multiple rows of headings? Let
me explain. I have item numbers that start at A4 and down. The top
heading is companys names in cells merged from B1:G1 and H1:M1. The
second set of headings under this heading are different programs
offered by each company merged into cells B2:C2, D2:E2, F2:G2, H2:I2,
J2:K2, L2:M2. And teh last set of headings is a quantity that coudl
be ordered from each program. B3, C3, D3, E3, F3, G3, H3, I3, J3, K3,
L3, M3. So Company 1 is in B1:G1 and company 2 is in H1:M1. Program
1 is in B2:C2, Pro2 is in D2:E2... Then Program 1 for company 2 is in
H2:I2, Program 2 for company 2 is in J2:K2.... And the last heading
is quantity of 10 or 20 for each program. So in B3:M3 it woudl
alternate between 10 and 20.

O1 = Company 1
O2 = Program 3
O3 = 20
O4 = 3 (this is the item number)

Since items start in A4 the third item is in cell A6. Company 1 is
B1:G1, Program 3 is F2:G2, and quantity of 20 is in G3. So now after
all of that is there a way to index cell G6 based on this information?

Thanks,
Jay- Hide quoted text -

There are multiple layers of headings. *So I want to be able to index
down based on the multiple headings. *Company is merged and takes up 6
columns, Under Company is programs. *each program takes up 2 columns.
Under Programs is the quantity of 10 or 20. *Down column A starting at
A4 is the Item#s. *So I am trying to index if it is company 1 and
program 3 and quantity of 20 and item number 3. *I want it to be able
to return G6. * I hope this makes more sense.
Jay- Hide quoted text -

That is why I am trying to index to that point. In the first post I
had said that in
O1 = Company
O2 = Program
O3 = Quantity
O4 = Item Number.

I want to use this information to index the array that is in B4:M9.
So like I had said I want the result to be G6. Just like when you do
=Index(B4:M9,Match(O4,A4:A9,1),Match(O1,A2:M1,1)) This woudl look up
the company and the item but woudl not pay any attention to the
Program or quantity. So I am trying to index the array based on more
then 2 sets of coordiantes. Is this possible?
Jay