Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Formula to Calculate Compounded Percentage Per Year

PS.....

On Apr 21, 1:11*pm, I wrote:
=rate(365, 0, -1, 1+6%)

For the nitpickers, I might have added that alternatively, you can get
the same result with the following formula:

=(1 + 6%) ^ (1/365)

One advantage is: sometimes, Excel's RATE implementation returns an
error because it fails to compute the very small percentage without
our providing a "guess". (I would hope that happens only when the
"pmt" argument is zero. But I don't know.)

=fv(C2, B2 - A2, 0, -14000)

Likewise, this can be replace with the following equivalent formula:

=14000 * (1 + C2)^(B2-A2)

Ergo, the two can be reduced to the following:

=14000 * (1 + 6%)^((B2-A1) / 365)

Of course, the first original two formulas can be reduced to the
following:

=fv(rate(365, 0, -1, 1+6%), B2 - A2, 0, -14000)

Finally....

Note that this is valid even if the compounding frequency is not daily
because I am assuming that 6% is the effective annual rate based on
whatever the true compounding frequency is.

If that assumption is false -- if 6% is the annual "interest" rate,
not the APY (aka APR) -- then you cannot compute the "future value"
without knowing the compounding frequency.