Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joules[_2_] Joules[_2_] is offline

Default Trouble with Excel Stacking Bar Graphs

Hi,

I have some data from a research project that I am trying to graph in
Excel. I would like to place the scores ffir each subject in a
"stacked column". Additionally I would like to indicate each test
subject's contribution to the column by using a different color for
each subject. That is, when I list the scores for subjects A, B, and
C stacked one above each other it would appear as A is the color red
with a score of 4, B is green with a score of 5, and C is teal with a
score of 7. So, when someone looks at the graph they can see the
column height is 16 (4+5+7) and they can see that all the bars in the
color red are scores obtained by subject A, B is green, and C is
teal. Another column will be built from the scores of subjects D, E,
and F; the next column will be built from the test scores of subjects
G, H, and I, etc.

I listed the scores in a table in Excel and it built a bar graph that
looked pretty good, but the colors seemed to be assigned almost at
random; for example some times the score for subject A would be red,
and then some other color.

I thought I was making some progress by right clicking on the graph,
going to "Source Data" and entering the data location for the series
manually, but I could not figure out how to tell excel which column
was supposed to receive the data. If I hover the curser over a
collumn a label appears which says something like "Subject A" Point
"Column 2", and the data is in column 2 of the graph, but I want it to
be in column 3, or 4, or 5. How can I control which bar in the bar
graph gets the data from the series.

Thanks in advance,
Joules

Joules