Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problem with Index function

Steve,

Sounds like the cell was preformatted, as text. Format as General, then re-enter the formula.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Steve M" wrote in message ...
I am trying to use the following index function. Seems to me like it is ok, but when I type this
into the cell I do not get a result, I simply see the formula (I do not have the view formula
option selected). I am using Excel 2007.

=INDEX(Results!$D$2:$D$21,MATCH($B3,Results!$A$2:$ A$21,0))

I have tried to make this an array formula, but that does not work. When I select
Ctrl+Select+Enter nothing happens.

What I am trying to do is find a match to cell B3 in one worksheet to an entry in column A from
worksheet "Results" spreadsheet. I then want the corresponding entry in column D from the
"Results" spreadsheet to be my answer.

I should also note that the entries in column D are text and not number or formula entries.

TIA