David McRitchie

VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup)

add one column to your table_array range,
add one to the col_index_num

E3: =VLOOKUP(D3,mytable!$A$2:$B$10,2,False)
F3: =VLOOKUP(D3,mytable!$A$2:$C$10,3,False)

and E3 could just as well be
E3: =VLOOKUP(D3,mytable!$A$2:$B$10,3,False)

and mytable!$A$2:C$10 could just as by be definedTable a defined table

VLOOKUP Worksheet Function
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

---
HTH,

"IdeaRat" wrote in message ...
Assume 2 columns of data: due date and project name, sorted by due date
(multiple projects/due date possible). I need to fill a calendar (1
mon/sheet) with the project names on the date they're due. I can use VLOOKUP
to fill in the first cell for the date, but how do I get the second project
name on the second cell for that date? VLOOKUP, as far as I can see will
only deliver the first matching value when I specify FALSE as the last
argument.

Any ideas for using another function? It strikes me that what I need is
something similar to the "next record" field in Word's mail merge. VB
programming is not an option -- not currently a talent of mine. Thx.
--
IdeaRat