Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Index Function

Why do the formulas return errors (1) when the array
name is used, and (2) when cells are pointed to
on another sheet?

The #REF! error is being caused by the fact that the formula is in the same
column as the first number in the named range _2x12. This is called the
implicit intersection. So, it's using the 125 as the row_num argument. Since
there aren't 125 rows in LumberDB it causes the #REF! error.

The #VALUE! error is being caused by the reference to the other sheet
resovling to a TEXT string "_2x12" and not the defined name that you think
it is. Either way, it would not work since _2x12 is a range reference to an
array and not an expression that resolves to a row number that can be used
by INDEX.

Try it like this:

=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH("2x12",A3:A7,0),10)

Note that "2x12" is a TEXT string and not the named range.

Or, name A3:A7 = Size

A100 = 2x12
B100 = 10

=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH(A100,Size,0),B100)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Gulfman100" wrote in message
I;m sorry abouth the repetition. I am new at trying to post a file that
can
be shared with others. I beleive this will work:
http://www.mediafire.com/?trf3x2zin04
Thanks