Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_267_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_267_] is offline

Default Text data with irregular data separators

No, you are not dreaming (tell them to stop typing); however, you need to
give us a little more data about this text file. Is there one (or more)
blank lines separating the first and second lines (like you showed in your
posting)? How about the next lines following this one... are there blank
lines separating it for the lines above them? Perhaps if you could
Copy/Paste say 5 records of information (10 lines from the file) into a
response, that would help us to know what your file looks like. I'm also
interested to know if there is any non-data text at the beginning and/or end
of the text file (if so, it will need to be skipped over, so you will need
to tell us details about them). Also, where is the is data going? By that I
mean (using your posted sample), does ADAM go in column A, THOMAS in column
B, 21688883 in column C, etc., or are there any columns being skipped? Any
other information you can think of would help. Details... we need details.
Better yet, if you have a website where you can post a copy of the file so
we can download it and know exactly what the file looks like.

Rick

"hpoincare" wrote in message
Staff at my company have been spending hours retyping data into
spreadsheets
from a text file export. The Data is repeating dual lines of information:
Last name, First name,... which then ends with the state "WASHINGTON" and
carriage return followed by the next line.

Each entry is like this:

ADAM THOMAS 21688883 09/25/1966 2224 WASHINGTON

Act Code 13 Date Started 09/25/2004 10/23/2005 Exit Date

My thought was to create some sort of script that would replace the Tab
seperators with Commas and replace the carriage return after "WASHINGTON"
with a comma and then combine the two lines on one line. This would get
rid
of the irregularities and I could then import the data into a spreadsheet.

Am I dreaming? If there is a practical solution, would someone kindly
point
me in the right direction? This will save my staff countless hours. All
comments welcome no matter the relavance.

Thanks