Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
yshridhar yshridhar is offline

Default Text data with irregular data separators

You could have done in it Ms-word.
ctrl - h (replace)|special|select paragraph mark| with ,
(ctrl-h; what ^p; with ,)
will combine the two lines in word.
Hope this is what you are after.
regards
sreedhar
"hpoincare" wrote:

Staff at my company have been spending hours retyping data into spreadsheets
from a text file export. The Data is repeating dual lines of information:
Last name, First name,... which then ends with the state "WASHINGTON" and a
carriage return followed by the next line.

Each entry is like this:

ADAM THOMAS 21688883 09/25/1966 2224 WASHINGTON

Act Code 13 Date Started 09/25/2004 10/23/2005 Exit Date

My thought was to create some sort of script that would replace the Tab
seperators with Commas and replace the carriage return after "WASHINGTON"
with a comma and then combine the two lines on one line. This would get rid
of the irregularities and I could then import the data into a spreadsheet.

Am I dreaming? If there is a practical solution, would someone kindly point
me in the right direction? This will save my staff countless hours. All
comments welcome no matter the relavance.

Thanks