Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan Alan is offline

Default Formula for naming tabs

One crude way to get you started, (do this in a new workbook),

Hit Alt and F11 to open the VB editor,
On the top toolbar hit 'Insert'
In the dropdown list hit 'Module', (not 'Class Module')
Copy and paste this into the empty window,

Sub NameSheet()
ActiveSheet.Name = ActiveSheet.Range("A1")
End Sub

Hit Alt and F11 together to close the VB editor, thats the Macro done.

Now type something into A1, click 'Tools' on the toolbar at the top, select
'Macro', to the left of the dropdown select 'Macros', in the box that
appears you'll see only one Macro called 'NameSheet'
Hit 'Run' and the sheet tab will change,

There are other way to do this with buttons, it can do it for you when you
open the sheet, or when you type something into A1, post back with what you
want it to do,

Regards,
Alan.
"SharonJo" wrote in message
Yes, I was trying to find a formula to name a sheet tab so that whatever I
type in A1 would name the tab. I even tried =A1 in the tab itself
(desperation).
Macros scare me, because I have not idea where to start unless I am
recording a macro.

"Alan" wrote:

The formula looks like an answer to a specific question, what the
original
question was is hard to say. It's series of text fomulas doing something,
not sure what!
What are you trying to achieve? You mention naming tabs, if you mean
sheet
tabs, you can only do that manually or with VB code, a formula can't do
that.
Post back explaining what you want to do, I'm sure you'll get answers,
Regards,
Alan.
"SharonJo" wrote in message
I saw a previous question for this, but I need help understanding the
formula.
I tried coping this formula, into A1, but--what do I need to change?
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,LEN(CELL("filename",A 1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1)))