Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Malik Malik is offline

Default Finding Values in a cell

thanks.
wt shud i do if I have more than one words to search for? I know I can use
IF as many times as the words but the words that I have to search for are
around 35.

I want to search that "is any of these 35 words present in the phrase in A2?
If yes, condition1, if no condition2".

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks again.

"OssieMac" wrote:

Try the following:-

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Johnny",A1,1)),"2", "1")

FIND is case sensitive. Use SEARCH in lieu as follows for non case sensitive:-

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("johnny",A3,1)),"2", "1")

OssieMac

"Malik" wrote:

I have cells that have phrases written in them. Now I wish to assign a value
to the corresponding cell in the next column if a particular word is present
in the phrase.

e.g. Column A Column B
Johnny Passed the exam If A1 contains Johnny,
write 1 else 2
Rita missed the train If A1 contains Johnny,
write 1 else 2

How do I achieve the formula for column B?
Thanks in advance.