Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Can I use TMP files to recover a deleted xls file?

These files aren't created by excel.

I'd bet that your antivirus program (AVG???) created them.

I have no idea how AVG creates them or what AVG puts in them, but you may want
to change the name to something.xls and see if they can be opened in excel.

TShirtPrintUK wrote:

We had a disastrous accident and deleted an Excel file permanently. We still
have eleven TMP files though in the same folder (with names like RT
ORDERS.xls~RFefb0e6.TMP), and I've retrieved an old archived version of the
original .xls file with records up to March last year.

Is there some way of using the TMP files to restore the data from the
deleted version of the .xls file?

--

Dave Peterson