Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Lookup

One guess is that you could try a dual criteria index/match (array-entered)

Assume Age & Var1 is listed in Sheet1's cols A & B, data from row2 down.
Assume you have 3 other cols of interest in adjacent cols C to E
corresponding to the 2 key cols A and B

In Sheet2,
Assuming the paired inputs of Age & Var1 will be input in A2:B2 down,
Paste this in C2's formula bar, then array-enter the formula by pressing
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (instead of just pressing ENTER):
=IF(COUNTA($A2:$B2)<2,"",INDEX(Sheet1!C$2:C$100,MA TCH(1,(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100=$A2)*(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$100 =$B2),0)))
Copy C2 across to E2, fill down as far as required. This returns the
required results from Sheet1's cols C to E. Adapt the ranges to suit the
extents of data in Sheet1.
--
Max
Singapore
"Michael Croy" wrote:
I'm trying to solve what I think is a complex formula.

To start with, I have a table (call it table 1) that has 'Age' in the
column, and the top row has another variable. Then there are different
values in the cells depending on the 'age' selected and the other variable.

On a separate tab, I enter the age and the other variable into two different
cells. In a third cell, I want to put a formula that goes to table 1, uses
the age and the other variable, and returns with the value.

How do I program that function into the third cell?

Michael Croy