Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Sean is offline

Default How do I prevent 2007 to 2003 Conversion?

Thanks, that is the sort of thing I am looking for and will give it a try -
hoping it doesn't block Lotus and DBF conversions.
Regards,
Sean

"Jim Rech" wrote:

It would be nice to disable the compatibility pack but I haven't found a way
to do it.

You might try creating this dword reg key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Security\FileOpenBlock\Converters

setting its value to 1. XLSX files are blocked for me in Excel 2003 after
this. Might be other things too but you can always change the value to 0 or
delete the entry.

--
Jim
"Sean" wrote in message
| Jim;
| Thanks, I am aware of the registration options and prefer to have the
| default application for XL files to be XL2007 (might as well try to love
| it!). Because of compatibility and bug issues, I often have XL2003 and
XL2007
| open at the same time and I find that whichever version last had focus is
the
| one that opens the next file I 2x-click on. Trouble is that I can
| inadvertently open an XL2007 (.xlsx) file in XL2003 and not even notice
the
| conversion has taken place before I re-save it and risk losing some of the
| data. I suspect it is the process of opening the files in XL2003 and then
in
| XL2007 and vice-versa that leads to the data-loss. What I need is to
disable
| the file conversion process that takes place when I open an XL2007 file in
| XL2003.
| Sean
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| If your problem is that double-clicked XLSs open in Excel 2007 rather
than
| 2003 then reset you file association by using Start-Run and enter your
full
| path to Excel 2003 like this:
|
| C:\<Full path\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE /regserver
|
| Note the space before the slash. This will run for 30 seconds or so and
| then you should be good to go until the association get set back which
seems
| to happen every so often.
|
| This has nothing to do with the compatibility pack which allows you to
open
| XLSX files in Excel 2003.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Sean" wrote in message
| |I did not download the "Compatability Pack" but somehow I seem to have
been
| | blessed with it regardless. The problem is I do not want to open
XL2003
| files
| | in XL2007 as it can lead to loss of data (particularly any formulae
that
| use
| | the XL2003 Analysis Toolpak).
| |
| | For numerous reasons, including import/export to Lotus and DBF, more
| | reliable drawing tools, waaaay fewer bugs etc., I have to keep XL2003
on
| my
| | system, as well as XL2007.
| |
| | How do I disable the File Conversion utility so that XL2007 files will
| only
| | open in XL2007?
| |