Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default FIND SPECIFIC TEXT AND REPLACE IT

Highlight the column of data and do CTRL-H (or Edit | Replace), and
then:

Find what: Void
Replace with: V

click Replace All.

Then you could do F5 | Special | Blanks and type I in the first cell
and CTRL-Enter.

Or you could use an Autofilter on that column, using Custom | Does not
Contain | Void, then manually change the first visible cell to I and
then copy this down over the rest of the visible cells. Then apply the
filter again: Custom | Contains | Void, then manually change the first
visible cell to V and copy this down over the other visible cells.
Then select All on the filter pull-down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 26, 3:38*pm, Tree wrote:
I need to find the word "Void" in one column of data and if it is there (and
it would be in ALL CAPS), then the return needs to be V; if it's not there,
the return *needs to be I.
Plus, would it be possible for the V or the I to replace the original data?
I've tried the if function, but I'm not putting in the right criteria
obviously...

The data is imported from QuickBooks into Excel and contains the check MEMO
field. I am trying to find Voided Checks for a daily batch report to send to
our bank. This is the only way I've found to capture that data at this point,
but I need the column to have only either V or I...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much,