Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Michael M Michael M is offline

Default Meaning of "--" in formulas

Hi JoAnn
Further to Cimjets answer.
The -- is called a Double Unary and the simple way to see Cimjets answer is
to take them out of the formula and see the result in the formula bar.
It will refer to True or false rather than a mathematical result

Regards
Michael M

"JoAnn" wrote:

Great! Thanks.
--
JoAnn

"Cimjet" wrote:

Hi JoAnn

The -- stuff changes trues and falses
to 1's and 0's. Logic expression to numeric expression.
Regards
Cimjet

"JoAnn" wrote in message
I sometimes see formulas with -- before a set of parenthesis (sample
formula
below), can anyone tell me what the purpose of it is? I can't seem to
find
it documented anywhere.

For example:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(b7:b400)=MONTH(D417)), --(YEAR(b7:b400)=YEAR(D417))

Thanks
--
JoAnn