Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default Color formatting in cell $An

Excel 2003 SP3
I need to take an existing spreadsheet that has six columns and selectively
"insert" a new column in a couple of rows. Once the single new column has
been inserted I'd like to resize this new "A" and put an * in it, color it
red and then resize the 'B' (old 'A') to the same right justfied location as
its original justification.

Essentially, I need to
1) SPLIT a single, unmerged cell into to two cells;
2) put what's in the original cell in the 'right' cell;
3) enter an * in the 'left' cell;
4) resize the 'left' cell to about 3 characters in size;
5) pattern the 'left' cell to red.

I know how to do all of the above except for splitting and unmerged cell.
My spreadsheet is about 60 rows and I need to split about 10-12 of the Row A
cells into two cells leaving all the left/right borders and justifications
the as-is.
Entering 'split cell' in HELP doesn't help.
What am I missing?
TIA,