BoneR

Thanks Bernie, I have used string concatination in the past but when the
expressions get long and complex it becomes very tedious. What I had in mind
was a more general function that actually looked at the cell containing the
maths expression directly.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

To show addition of the values in A1 and A2, use the formula

= A1 & " + " & A2 & " = " & A1 + A2

Of course, you might want to have a check that A1 and A2 are filled, but you
get the idea.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"BoneR" wrote in message
In Excel I would like to display the values that go into a formula - in
addition to the answer itself. This is to mimic the way hand calculations
would be set out on paper. In other words I'd like a function that takes

the
maths expression within a cell and returns with a string where the cell
references have been replaced with actual values.