Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default VLookup takes too long

I'd insert a helper column that only returns the index into the first column of
that lookup table.

For instance, I'd insert this into C2:

=match(a2,sheet2!a:a,0)

Then rely on what that returns to return the values that I want.

=if(isna(c2),"",index(sheet2!b:b,c2))
=if(isna(c2),"",index(sheet2!C:c,c2))
=if(isna(c2),"",index(sheet2!d:d,c2))

DTTODGG wrote:

Hello-

I have in the past done VLOOKUP on multiple columns to retrieve data from
other spreadsheet. This process takes forever and a day when the files are
huge.

Is there a quicker technique?
Can I do a VLOOKUP on one column and then, when found use some other quicker
function (maybe MATCH or INDEX - I don't know how to use these) to get the
other columns?

Sample (of 6000 line spreadsheet)
ColA ColB ColC ColD ColE
Data Data VLookUP VLookup VLookup

ColC = VLOOKUP (A2,Validdata, 14, false)
ColD = VLOOKUP (A2, Validdata, 15, false)
ColE = VLOOKUP (A2, Validdata, 17,false)
etc...

Thank you so much for all your shared wisdom!

--

Dave Peterson