Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BillH BillH is offline

Default Deleting LF Characters in cells

On Mar 19, 2:30*pm, Dave Peterson wrote:
Did you change uncheck the "match entire cell contents" box?

Are you sure that the character is really a linefeed? *If it is, then ctrl-j
should work fine.

If it's not, then Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine
what that
character(s) is:http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

=code(right(a1,1))
may help you determine that character if it's really the last character.

BillH wrote:

On Mar 19, 1:22 pm, Gary''s Student
wrote:
Edit Replace
in the Find What field touch CNTRL-j
then touch Replace All
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200774

"BillH" wrote:
I am pasting SQL query output information from a web page (no http
address available) into excel 2003. *Each of the cells from the SQL
data is padded with a trailing LF (hex 0A) non-displayable "blank".
How do I remove these characters. *I've tried selecting alt-0010 and
Char(10) in the find-replace dialog but excel says it can't find what
I'm looking for. *The worksheet columns all have data of varying
lengths, so I can't use text-cols. *I just need to remove the x'0A'
characters. *My imported data sometimes contains several thousand rows
of multiple columns.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks,
I tried that also, but the dialog still says it can't find the data
I'm searching for. *I can manually edit each cell and delete the
training character, but haven't found a way to automate the process
within Excel.

--

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Using that code it says the character is '160'. I have used an
external hex editor and it said the character is an x'0A'. Now I'm
even more confused.