Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JP[_4_] JP[_4_] is offline

Default combo boxes & protecting worksheets

You can only link one cell to a combo box placed directly on a
worksheet, even if you specify a range as a linked cell. It's not
efficient to use a combo box just to display one item. But you can
link to any cell in the workbook, even if it's on another sheet.

1. Go to ViewToolbarsControl Toolbox
2. Press "Design mode" icon and double click the combo box
3. Press F4 to show the Properties window (if not already displayed)
4. Scroll down to "Linked Cell" and type in your cell reference, ex:
Sheet12!$A$1
5. Press Alt-Q to return to Excel, click "Design Mode" again to exit
design mode and test the combo box

ps-
Did you see the bit about "make sure the linked cell is not locked"?

You need to un-protect the worksheet (if needed), select the cells
that are linked to the combo box, press Ctrl-1 and uncheck "Locked"
and "Hidden" on those cells, then re-protect the worksheet.

HTH,
JP

On Mar 18, 6:53*pm, Renee wrote:
Not really. *So here's my next challenge question. *Is it possible, and if
so, how, to link the combo box in its properties to a cell in another
worksheet in the same workbook?

Here's what I've got: *I've got two combo boxes that link to their own
respective cells, but when I go to protect the worksheet and then try using
the drop-down list combo boxes, I get, "The cell or chart that you are trying
to change is protected and therefore read-only...."

I'm thinking if I can put them on another worksheet, I can hide the
worksheet, but I just don't know how to do the link in the properties.

By the way, I have MS Excel 2007.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks.