Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Find Last Saturday of the Year

Please read the replies, Jay, before saying "neither of the formulas work
correctly. They give a #NUM! Error."
Gary's reply said "Put the year in A1 ..."
Pete's said "or if you have a year in A1: ..."
Their formulae will give a #NUM! error if you put a *date* in A1, but not if
you put the *year* in A1.

Your formula doesn't give the #NUM! error if you put a date in A1, but your
formula returns a Sunday date for roughly 3 years out of 4, and the Saturday
for only one year out of 4.
--
David Biddulph

"jlclyde" wrote in message

neither of the formulas work correctly. They give a #NUM! Error. the
problem is that the year is not called out in the date so it is trying
to use the date in A1 as the year and not use the year of the value in
A1. So this woudl be the right formula.
=DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,1,1)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(A1)+6,1,1))

Thank you fir this help. I woudl not have got here with out both of
your replies.
Jay

On Mar 17, 10:06 am, Gary''s Student
wrote:
Put the year in A1 and then:

=DATE(A1+1,1,1)-WEEKDAY(DATE(A1+1,1,1))

For example:

2006 Saturday, December 30, 2006
2007 Saturday, December 29, 2007
2008 Saturday, December 27, 2008
2009 Saturday, December 26, 2009

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200774

"jlclyde" wrote:
I am trying to find the last Saturday of the year with excel. There
are a few sites that I visited, but they specify weekdays and I want
saturday.

Thanks,
Jay- Hide quoted text -