Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
davehall davehall is offline

Default Text to columns

Hi Martin

I'm convinced that this is a Microsoft Office update "feature" as I've tried
opening many different files on many different PC's and have seen the same
behaviour each time!

We can work around the problem but it is a bit infuriating that something
has apparently changed because MS thought it a good idea!

Thanks

Dave

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Dave,

I have run into this sort of behaviour with Text to Columns before,
and I am sure it is part of the Excel being helpful syndrome.

I don't actually understand the why's and how's of how it works
but the cause is most likely someone saving this behaviour to
your default template, or something along similar lines.

Try opening a virgin file and see what happens there.

HTH
Martin

"davehall" wrote in message
Hi, Daily we open a .lst file, which is a text file, which used to put
each
line of data in to the first cell in a row. We then used the Text to
Columns
feature to split in to individual cells. Within the last week, when we
open
the file it splits in to individual cells automatically but doesn't split
as
requried. I can only assume that a recent Excel update has introduced this
and wonder if anybody knows how to disable this "feature".

Dave - 17/3/2008