Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
davehall davehall is offline

Default Text to columns

The format of the data hasn't changed at all. We have checked some older
files that were fine at the time but aren't now, hence the assumption that
something has been changed within Excel. We've also tried this on a number of
PC's all with the same results.

"Joel" wrote:

It depends on the data if it is put in one or multiple cells. Check some of
your older files to see if the same thing happens. It is possible the source
of the lst file has changed and not excel.

You can use the menu option Data - Import External Data - Import Data which
will do the same thing as the Text to columns.

"davehall" wrote:

Hi, Daily we open a .lst file, which is a text file, which used to put each
line of data in to the first cell in a row. We then used the Text to Columns
feature to split in to individual cells. Within the last week, when we open
the file it splits in to individual cells automatically but doesn't split as
requried. I can only assume that a recent Excel update has introduced this
and wonder if anybody knows how to disable this "feature".

Dave - 17/3/2008