Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tyro[_2_] Tyro[_2_] is offline

Default How do i set up a 3d reference where one cell reference is dyn

This is a copy of what's stated for the MONTH function in Excel help:

"Returns the month of a date represented by a serial number. The month is
given as an integer, ranging from 1 (January) to 12 (December)."

If you enter a date such as 01-September, Excel converts that to a date
serial number of 39692 which is September 1, 2008. Thus the MONTH function
applied to that date returns 9 as September is the 9th month of the year. As
for the TEXT function returning September, the 252 is the date serial number
for September 8, 1900 and when that is formatted as "mmmm", it becomes
September. As for your other questions, a good book on Excel such as Excel
2003 Bible or Excel 2007 Bible by John Walkenbach would help you.

Tyro

"SmilingSteve" wrote in message
Biff
I have reviewed you equation and I have some questions.

the month function reduces to "01-september" and returns a value of 9.
How
does "01-september" become a serial number equal to september?

The inner indirect function reduces to "1:9" which becomes $1:$9. Why
does
this happen?

The rows function reduces to 9 which I think I understand.

The text function reduces to 252,"mmmm" which returns september. Why?

The outer indirect function reduces to "september!B9". Why do you use the
sumif function and the sumproduct function?

Thanks

"T. Valko" wrote:

If you'd like, I can put together a sample file that demonstrates both
methods I suggested.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP