Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
A.S. A.S. is offline

Default Need help

Thanks! I think that array did it.

"RagDyer" wrote:

Couple of options:

Enter this formula in B1, and copy down as needed:

=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)=1,A1,"")

HOWEVER, this will *not* produce a contiguous list.
There will be blank rows where it finds duplicates in the adjoining Column
A.

To display a contiguous list, with B1 containing
=A1
try this *array* formula in *B2*

=IF(ISERR(MATCH(0,COUNTIF(B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$200&""),0 )),"",INDEX(IF(ISBLANK($A$1:$A$200),"",$A$1:$A$200 ),MATCH(0,COUNTIF(B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$200&""),0)))

--
Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of
the regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

*After* the CSE entry, copy down until you get a blank cell.
--
HTH,

RD

"A.S." wrote in message
I need a formula that does this. I realize that this can be done by data
filter, however, is the formula that can do this?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I'd a a header in row 1 and then use Data|Filter|Advanced filter and use
the
"Unique records only" checkbox.

Debra Dalgleish describes it he
http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

A.S. wrote:

I am trying to do the following. Assume data starting in row A1:

AB
AB-C
DEF
DEF
DEF-GH
DEF-GHI
DEF-GHI
JKL
JKL-M
JKL-MN
JKL-MN
JKL-MN

Basically, what I would like to happen starting in B2 (since B1 will
alwaysequal to A1), is that it looks at B2, and if B2 is not a
duplicate of
anything above it puts B2, otherwise, if it is a duplicate it moves on
and
puts B3, so long as B3 is not a duplicate of anything from above, and
so and
so forth. So the answer to the above data would look like:

AB
AB-C
DEF
DEF-GH