Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gaffnr Gaffnr is offline

Default Matrix Help

I need some help to construct a matrix that shows people owing money to each
other. In my simple example below, i have

Rob Rachael £100.00
Rob Dennis £200.00
Rachael Rob -£100.00
Rachael Dennis £300.00
Dennis Rob -£200.00
Dennis Rachael -£300.00

I can easily build a matrix pivot table that shows column A in my rows and
column B in my columns and of course amount in the data area. This will show
that rob owes rob zero, is owed £200 by dennis and £100 by rachael etc. This
will repeat for each name.

However, on a large matrix (say 70 rows and 70 columns) I need to devise a
way to show me that Rob is owed £100 by Rachael on the row for Rob, and
Rachael owes £100 to Rob, thus the net effect is zero. the reality is of
course that I could manually tick them off but surely there is a way to
formulise this? I think the answer may lay in arrays but I've never used
these and wouldnt know where to start.
Thanks indeedy to anybody that could help. I would attach a dummy copy of
data to show where I am but I there is no way to do this on this site that i
know of.
Rob
--
Rob Gaffney