Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default How can I formulate a reconciliation?

My first question is why doesn't the accounting software do the
reconciliation. That would be much more efficient.

However, if the only choice is to do it in Excel, you will need to sum the
outstanding checks and deposits, then deduct this from the register balance.
This should give you the bank balance.

First, create a column where it can be indicated whether the transaction has
cleared the bank (like 'R'). Then your bank balance formula is:

=RegisterBalance + Sumif (checks not 'r') - sumif(deposits not 'r')

Hope this helps,
Fred.

"Gorilla Show" <Gorilla wrote in message
I am trying to wrap my head around doing account reconciliations more
effectively. The source data has been exported from an accounting
program.
Now, I need a quick way of producing a formula that will assist in the
matching process.